I’ve a word filling my mind this evening.
I’m not sure why. Words get lodged in my brain until I pay attention. I’m not sure who is knocking on my noggin at these times….but I’m grateful for their presence. So, off to dictionary.com, one of my favorite places to tarry. Here’s what I found.
sus⋅tain [suh-steyn] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
1. to support, hold, or bear up from below; bear the weight of, as a structure.
2. to bear (a burden, charge, etc.).
3. to undergo, experience, or suffer (injury, loss, etc.); endure without giving way or yielding.
4. to keep (a person, the mind, the spirits, etc.) from giving way, as under trial or affliction.
5. to keep up or keep going, as an action or process: to sustain a conversation.
6. to supply with food, drink, and other necessities of life.
7. to provide for (an institution or the like) by furnishing means or funds.
8. to support (a cause or the like) by aid or approval.
9. to uphold as valid, just, or correct, as a claim or the person making it: The judge sustained the lawyer’s objection.
10. to confirm or corroborate, as a statement: Further investigation sustained my suspicions.
I’m enchanted by words. Sustainability I found fits many areas certainly of my life. Perhaps yours as well.
The things we support, the challenges which weigh on us, producing more muscle giving us the opportunity to rise like a phoenix, (bless the adversity….it’s the best building block I know), clearly those late night conversations with favorite pals AND my very business offering at Carl House, even more than the necessities of life, but rich wine and savory culinary delights….the things we rally for, and the affirmations made to build and grow others.
Well, I’m just stuck on the thought of how we sustain…hold up, move on, rally forth, rise above, affirm and celebrate.